9/21/14

Melanie - Ooh Child Fake single (1973)

A much better sounding version of this unissued and wonderful version of "Ooh Child" has been sent to me by a US-from-Germany visitor and Melanie fan who told me that the song was actually recorded in 1973 for the birth of her first daughter and not in 1970 (see comments). Unfortunately, the version is more about 2 min shorter, the great ending instrumental being faded prematurely. So, I put the 2 versions in the file. I tried to improve still a little bit each version with MP3DoctorPro2 and it's not bad. So catch this rarity here. A good opportunit to celebrate the 3rd month of life of the grand son of rough.

Today the daughter of my "bro love" rough mix  had a baby, a son, and this post is a way to celebrate this event. It's a rarity, an unreleased and unissued cover of the Five Stairsteps, a soft soul band signed by Buddah records, who had a hit with this wonderful song, here covered marvellously by my "singer love" Melanie (yes, I know I'm a little bit oecumenic tonight but let's be like this once a year), who shared the same label. Her version is honestly the most moving I heard and there have been quite a lot in the last 50 years. But I'm not objective. Why did this song never find a path on a vinyl release, it's a complete mystery since it deserved to find. I don't even know when the song was  recorded. Surely in the early seventies but I'm not sure. Didn't find any details about this song on the web or in the books about her I have. If you are a Melanie fan have some deeper knowledge about this song than me, don't hesitate to insult me for my ignorance and light my lantern. The version I found is rather of poor quality and derives from You Tube. I tried to improve the sound with a MP3 enhancer and the result is not so bad (but don't forget I'm not a sound engineer). What's very interesting is that it's more than 5 min long and that the atmosphere has the time to catch you by the ears and soul. And that there are true musical arrangements. For the cover sleeve I used a picture of baby Melanie of course. Don't see what could have been more relevant. If the song was initially intended to talk about the situation of black people in the US, it can today be used for almost every child born in a hard-living part of the world or in a poor area of any society, whatever his or her colour. And for today, it is dedicated to the rough mix grandson, hoping the lyrics will be his reality. Some words about the last post (rs inflated rates). It seems they have postponed their new rates to the 1st of July. Don't know why. What I'm sure of is that I won't be richer next month than last one so I won't pay their gangster accounts fares. Don't have found any alternative to this day but I keep on thinking of it.

4 comments:

rough mix said...

Hope every paranets will be soothed by Melanie concerns ..still up to date nowadays Thanks man !

Vran said...

Beautiful song! Thanks Dkelvin from the mother and the father of this child ;) Thanks for this discovery, now I need to improve my music knowledge about Melanie... Hope to see you again to celebrate this event :)

Any middle-aged German Witch in Amerika said...

The song was recorded in 1973 as far as I know and has never been released. Looking for a better version right now, will get back to you when I found it. Keep up the good work!!

musiclover said...

thank you for this song