4/18/15

John Lee Hooker - The Boom Boom Session (1961)

As you have probably guessed, I'm in John Lee Hooker these times. Here, I post what will remain a classic session since it featured for the first time "Boom Boom", a title I suppose I don't need to introduce . But this session, recorded probably in December 1961 with a small brass must not be reduced to this standard since it contains other gems, notably, around the end of the session, superb slower and darkers songs like "Blues Before Sunrise", "I Got A Letter" and "A New Leaf". Funny to see how in the early sixties, JLH would often used the same chord sequences in his rural folk blues for white students and in these r&b black-targeted recordings. Here, the brass does not, as it will do some years later, denaturate Hooker's music although blues purists surely don't consider this session as one of their favorites. I don't either but given that JLH often recorded sessions with monotonous style and weak backing, it deserves to be added to any Hooker amateur. And there is not a filling in it which is not usual with him. I did a cover sleeve (not sure the front picture is from 1961, more probably from his Britain tour some years later but I don't know, I feel it's a good one), as usual. One of the reasons I have the motivation to keep on blogging when often I wonder whether I don't lose the short time I've to live before the end. Catch it here.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for more JLH. Seems to be missing a track though.

dkelvin said...

Oh yes shit, "What Do You Say" is missing. I fix it. Thanks for signalling.
dk

Anonymous said...

No problem. I think it's great how you take some of the Hooker sessions and make them seem like actual albums.