5/5/15

Canned Heat - Sung by Alan Wilson (1967-70)





















I may shock some of you (if there's any reading my badly written english comments), but among the dead-at-27 in Music, Alan Wilson's death is surely the greatest tragedy for music since contrary to the other ones (the 3 J or the K) he had not been in situation to express all his genius during his short lifespan, constrained in the Canned Heat can and the rather hippie-blues format. But if you put all the songs he wrote and sung (some he did not write I admit) during the 4 years he was with the band he created with the rather invading Bob Hite, there's enough to compile one of the greatest album of all times. This is what I did here. One has been issued some years ago under the name of "Blind Owl" but the cover sleeve was ugly, the song order debatable and two great live songs missing (moreover there was some instrumental that were unnecessary). So here's my way to do it. It's not perfect, but I think it's more respectful of this shy and introverted artist that was eroded and destroyed by depression. Listening to his lyrics, it's no surprise since most are about sad or depressing feelings, nostalgia or absence of future. I try here to maintain alive the memory of this wonderful singer, harmonicist and composer. Note that there's a picture of John Lee Hooker on the back sleeve but no songs from the Hooker 'n Heat album cos' he doesn't sing on it. Catch it here and, like I do these days, listen to it again and again, particularly on the road of course.



And below a video showing that he still mean something to youth, and that it's a young woman is still a better news, blues being too often a male thing.

9 comments:

musicyoucan said...

C'est un plaisir de lire un texte en mauvais anglais comme cela. Tes commentaires sont souvent passionnants et incitent à prolonger les (re)découvertes. Ai revu récemment Canned Heat avec seul le batteur original comme survivant. La musique est toujours aussi bien. Tout ceci est l'histoire de la musique. Merci pour ton blog , de même que pour tes anciens papiers dans crossroad dont je possède tous les numéros. Bonne suite et encore merci.

Anonymous said...

Grande idée que ce faux LP . Canned heat n'a jamais été aussi bon que lors de la période Alan Wilson !

dkelvin said...

Je réponds en français aux deux commentaires en français. Merci d'avoir pris la peine de mettre des commentaires, qui plus est gentils, ce qui n'est pas toujours la règle sur le net (mais en général oui sur ce blog). Ici, plus que la période Alan Wilson de Canned Heat, c'est surtout un album compilant les morceaux de Canned Heat sur lesquels Alan Wilson chante. Sa voix étant à mes yeux (en l'occurrence mes oreilles) une sorte de miracle qui me va droit à l'âme.
dk

Anonymous said...

Outstanding! I like Bob Hite too, but the Heat were much better while Al Wilson lived. Merci beaucoups!
Shane

lanzarishi said...

Wonderful video, many thanks! I certainly love Alan's music, unique voice and tender personality. I remember him with the band very well and always love to see him get some exposure.

pipzing said...

A very thoughtful assortment of tracks here. I can’t thank you enough for this. The album sleeve is a beauty.

john said...

I consider seeing the Canned Heat early in their career one of my happiest memories. Henry could shake the walls but Alan could shake your heart. Thank you for this gift.

Rebecca Davis said...

Thanks for featuring Alan Wilson and Canned Heat on your blog! Ironically for a man who lived such a lonely life, Wilson appears to have many young female fans these days. How glad I am to see more and more people appreciating his musical genius.

You can find Wilson's family paying tribute to him at AlanWilsonCannedHeat.com, and his biography site is at BlindOwlBluesBook.com.

Thanks again and don't forget to boogie!!

goinsidemyhead said...

the first Canned Heat album was the first blues album I ever owned, I think I bought it with an album by the Association, the Woolworth where I lived hadn't caught up with new music thing being done by white Chicago style blues bands but there sat Canned Heat next to Perry Como...no idea who they were but they looked like hippies. Listening closely to the album practically with my ears to the single speaker I heard Henry Vestine absolutely destroy on the Story of My Life...fuck me wow!....then spooky Al Owl Wilson and that plaintive voice sealed the deal...I still have that album and my affection for both Henry Vestine and Al Owl Wilson has not faded.....pour les gens merci pour le post...tres cool, mais vous savez? n'est pas....etc etc..etc