6/18/15

Cockney Rebel - Singles As & Bs (1973-74)



A welcome request for what will remain one of my fave bands any style any period, the 1973-74 line-up of Cockney Rebel. No much to add except there's no way you can miss such a gem. And that my cover sleeve is a fail but I've not the patience to do another one. Catch it here

Psychomodo from Cockney Rebel is among my 5 fave albums of all the times, and this, since it was first released. I wrote it here, I wrote it in the Xroads music mag and after death, I will still write it in heaven or in hell, if there is a paper and a pen (I think it will be in Hell's Mag with my blood). Human Menagerie, their first album, was also a beloved one. With this formation (featuring the great Stuart Elliott on drums, who will stay with Steve Harley and then play with Kate Bush), the band only lived 2 years before Steve Harley, for a reason I ignore but regret, disbanded it. In parallel, they released 4 singles, two of them being hits: "Judy Teen" in March 74 (n°5 in the UK charts) and the legendary "Mr Soft" 4 months later (n° 8). Five songs from these singles were not included in the 2 LP's. It is true they are now bonus tracks on their CD remastered versions, but I think it is better to listen to them separately. A single song has some flavour that is sometimes quite different from an album song. And if "Sebastian" and "Bed In The Corner", released on singles, were album songs, the 6 other ones are for me, the perfect example of single songs. If you wonder why I have such a passion for Cockney Rebel, I can only recommend that you listen to this small compilation, or at least listen to "Mr Soft" here under. If after listening, you still wonder why such an enthousiasm, just imagine I have "mauvais goût" (bad taste) as we say in France. In a next future I will post the singles from Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel, the second incarnation of this band, who played between 1975 and 1977. Some great things too but quite different from their glam period.


tilidom.com

13 comments:

rough mix said...

Tumbling Down,Sebastian ..songs to thrill with.

dk said...

"Tumbling down" is not in it Rough, sorry.

Bill.Bo said...

I know Cockney rebel since the early seventies - what a pleasure to some unknown songs here. Thank you very much for the presentation : Bill Bo

angelitotitorito said...

Estoy completamente de acuerdo con tus conceptos respecto a la primera encarnación de este grupo. Afortunadamente contamos con el rescate que hiciste de sus sencillos. ¡Muchas gracias!

Anonymous said...

So what are the other 4 of your all-time favourite 5 Albums? Just wandering...

dkelvin said...

I would say "Berlin" from Lou Reed, "Narcotic Story" from Oxbow, "Gather Me" from Melanie, "The Image Has Cracked" from Alternative TV.
dk

Mr Soft said...

Are both the Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel Singles and As and Bs still up and if so where is the download link please. Thank you

dkelvin said...

No they're not and I'll reup them tomorrow
dk

Mr Soft said...

Thanks for that dk. First saw them in 1974 - the original line-up - and now got tickets for the ‘Best Years Of Our Lives’ 40th Anniversary concerts later this year.

Mr Soft said...

Have tried to dl both of the singles posts but keep getting message saying 'Oops! This link appears to be broken.' and 'Did you mean: rapidshare.­com'. Is it me or haven't you had a chance to reup them? Thanks for the raw version Human Menagerie - was able to dl it and some of the versions are quite astonishing. Great cover sleeve as well.

Mr Soft said...

Thank you so much for the reups - two really good compilations.

Anonymous said...

Links are gone again. Any chance of another re-up. Would be appreciated.

dkelvin said...

No, the link is OK. Just an ad for M but next you got the link. Hitherto M has never failed.
dk